Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs

Welcome Entrepreneurs of Singapore. Have questions about starting a business? Looking for a business partner or a Mentor? You've come to the right place.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bookmark and Share

The Rich Jedi Master

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Top Success Stories

Top Success Stories

The Rich Jedi Master Vide
PostSubject: The Rich Jedi Master   The Rich Jedi Master EmptyThu May 21, 2009 5:07 pm

His name was Sir Alec Guinness. An award-winning actor from England.

Most would know him by the name, Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master from the Star Wars galaxy.

Most know the story on screen. The romantic tales of heroism, in a futuristic world.

Yet few know the real-life story behind the scenes.

Before the first Star Wars movie launched, Sir Alec Guinness or Obi-Wan as we like to call him, was one of the few who believed that Star Wars would be a big hit in the movie industry.

Even though he disliked the science fiction terms widely used in the film, Alec persisted with his professionalism on set.

The interesting twist is that instead of asking for wages, Alec requested to be paid in the form of royalties. Two percent of the film's gross earning to be exact. Thus he had set up a stream of passive income.

Alec worked with any 'pay' during the filming, but following the release of the Star Wars and its squeals, he got his windfall. The royalties from the Star Wars movies paid and continued to pay him.

In his own words: "let me leave it by saying I can live for the rest of my life in the reasonably modest way I am now used to, that I have no debts and I can afford to refuse work that doesn't appeal to me"

The old Jedi Master created a truly unique stream passive income, one wonders if he had used The Force to aid him.
Back to top Go down
Blacknight
Talented Junior
Talented Junior
Blacknight

PostSubject: Re: The Rich Jedi Master   The Rich Jedi Master EmptyFri May 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Nice story man. I never knew about the true Obi-wan even though I like Star Wars myself.
Back to top Go down
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rich Jedi Master   The Rich Jedi Master EmptySun May 24, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks Top Success Stories for contributing this inspiring story.

I'm a Star Wars fan too. Cool

Hope you all enjoy the forum! Let's learn, contribute and grow, SG entrepreneurs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ssuf.biz
MarcyOne

MarcyOne

PostSubject: Awards and honours   The Rich Jedi Master EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Guinness won the Academy Award as Best Actor in 1957 for his role in The Bridge on the River
Kwai. He was nominated in 1958 for his screenplay adapted from Joyce Cary's novel The
Horse's Mouth and for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in 1977. He also
received an Academy Honorary Award for lifetime achievement in 1980. In 1988, he received
an Academy Award Nomination for Best Supporting Actor for Little Dorrit.

For his theatre work, he received an Evening Standard Award for his performance as T.E.
Lawrence in Ross and a Tony Award for his Broadway turn as Dylan Thomas in Dylan.

He was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1955, and was
knighted in 1959. In 1991, Guinness received an honorary doctorate from Cambridge
University.[22] Three years later, he was bestowed the title of Companion of Honour at the
age of 80.

He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1559 Vine Street.

“The perfect Wedding Planning with perfect Wedding Favors
Back to top Go down
http://www.1weddingsource.com
Sifu
Wise Old Man
Sifu

PostSubject: Re: The Rich Jedi Master   The Rich Jedi Master EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Thank you for sharing the story. With foresight, patient and not greedy to be rich quick it paid handsomely for Guinness. It is a lesson where we can learned to strive for passive income. Look for long term investment not short term.
Back to top Go down
amcpl1
Rising Star
Rising Star

PostSubject: Re: The Rich Jedi Master   The Rich Jedi Master EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 pm

The world IT trend is moving towards SaaS(Software-as-a-Service) and IaaS(Infrastructure-as-a-Service). So instead of selling software or infrastructure products of IT, business has move towards subscription and pay per use.

Think about it again your traditional model of selling services or products. Can this be applied to your business model? Do you dare to take this challenge?

I have converted my business to gear towards such model 8 years back. The take up rate is very low as Asian still prefers to own assets. But overall, it pays back when such passive income tides you through crisis like SARs and Global Financial crisis. When everyone is reacting, you are taking a break...
Back to top Go down
http://www.amc.com.sg
FireBlazen
Talented Junior
Talented Junior
FireBlazen

PostSubject: Re: The Rich Jedi Master   The Rich Jedi Master EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Nice. Interesting facts people rarely know. The Force indeed. Star Wars fan here! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rich Jedi Master   The Rich Jedi Master Empty

Back to top Go down

The Rich Jedi Master

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs :: Success Stories :: Successful Entrepreneurs Worldwide -