Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs

Welcome Entrepreneurs of Singapore. Have questions about starting a business? Looking for a business partner or a Mentor? You've come to the right place.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bookmark and Share

Massage Therapist

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
leumas

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 1:27 am

My female muslim colleague just completed her Foot Reflexology course. The idea came up is to set up a massage parlor meant only for female Muslim. Why muslim female because they are more reserved and because of religion especially those wearing tudong. Can be classified as a potential group of customer or a niche group.

Will this idea be workable, please share your view as we are seriously considering sharing in setting up this business. I will be the sleeping partner.

Workers in the shop will definitely be female masseuse.
Back to top Go down
diz
Talented Junior
Talented Junior

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi just to first intro myself,
my nick is diz and i have been interested in startup recently early this year after attending a module in NUS on Management of New Product Development.

I also read a lot of good business-related book.

So hope my limited knowledge can help you up.

If you are planning to start up this idea in singapore, it will be likely a niche market.
Unless it is set up in malaysia.

But this is definitely a good business idea.

You will have to seriously do some market research on the various factor below.

1. What is the market value you looking at if starting up in singapore?
(you can get a rough figure base on the population and race ratio)

2. Base on the market value, location of the parlour is very important (eg chinatown for your location?or somewhere else?)

3. How the current Market is doing? and how to improve?

4. Any plan to expand the market and cater to non muslim customer?

Hope this few question can help you set up for sustainable business. Smile
Good luck Very Happy and all the best!
Back to top Go down
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 1:55 pm

Good idea diz to setup the shop in Malaysia. There are tons of Muslim women there. Plus the market research would be needed.

I have seen these Malay women go to the massage parlors in Singapore, but I don't know if this is true in Malaysia.

I don 't think this business idea should really have any plan to expand to cater to the non Muslim community as, this business would be focusing on the niche market, and the non Muslim (mainly Chinese) community is already well catered for.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ssuf.biz
FireBlazen
Talented Junior
Talented Junior
FireBlazen

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 7:48 pm

I suggest you survey a handful of muslim woman about this and see what they think about it, they may have suggestions that you can't think of. If they are "Hey thats pretty cool", i guess you can try to start your business. Besides, seeing that its a pretty sensitive issue, they may have some "i dont wish to be known that i have visited this massage parlour" kind of thingy, to keep themselves anonymous so you may not wanna send them promotion magazines and stuff. You can watch out for these points with your survey.
Back to top Go down
diz
Talented Junior
Talented Junior

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 pm

FireBlazen wrote:
I suggest you survey a handful of muslim woman about this and see what they think about it, they may have suggestions that you can't think of. If they are "Hey thats pretty cool", i guess you can try to start your business. Besides, seeing that its a pretty sensitive issue, they may have some "i dont wish to be known that i have visited this massage parlour" kind of thingy, to keep themselves anonymous so you may not wanna send them promotion magazines and stuff. You can watch out for these points with your survey.

The concept of understanding what the customer really want is very important. But i dun feel that survey is the best way.

A lot of time survey is not the true representive of customer/market response. If anyone who read this dun agree with me, it is ok. Cos to be truthful, if someone in the street come to me for a survey, i will always tick all good and return the survey back.
Back to top Go down
FireBlazen
Talented Junior
Talented Junior
FireBlazen

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Another idea i have is to talk to your muslim friends about it and see what they think. These are as much as i can think of at the moment.
Back to top Go down
esthersoh
Talented Junior
Talented Junior

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 10:37 am

Why wait? Start off first with your circle of friends and doing it at their own home and see the response for yourself. Check with each customer about the idea of having a shop space and ask if they would come.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stores.ebay.com.sg/ES-BoutiQue
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 4:43 pm

esthersoh wrote:
Why wait? Start off first with your circle of friends and doing it at their own home and see the response for yourself. Check with each customer about the idea of having a shop space and ask if they would come.

Similar to how SSuF was started. I asked friends to come down and have a look.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ssuf.biz
leumas

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Thank you all for your contributions. Will probably take on Esther's suggestion before committing to paying rent every month.
Back to top Go down
esthersoh
Talented Junior
Talented Junior

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 5:02 pm

You are welcome. I wish you great success in your endeavours!
Back to top Go down
http://www.stores.ebay.com.sg/ES-BoutiQue
diz
Talented Junior
Talented Junior

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Good Luck and all the Best !
Back to top Go down
leumas

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 12:16 am

Thank you and hope to learn from each other views and sharing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Massage Therapist Vide
PostSubject: Re: Massage Therapist   Massage Therapist Empty

Back to top Go down

Massage Therapist

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs :: General Business :: New Business Ideas -