Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs

Welcome Entrepreneurs of Singapore. Have questions about starting a business? Looking for a business partner or a Mentor? You've come to the right place.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bookmark and Share

Rental of branded bags

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Sifu
Wise Old Man
Sifu

Rental of branded bags Vide
PostSubject: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 12:19 am

Toying with the idea of buying branded bags like LV, Blue Label and rent it out for a fee.

Anyone care to chip a thought or two?
Back to top Go down
Head Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 11:47 pm

Your idea might work, but i think you should try and survey the female community about renting a used bag. Me and my friend was thinking about renting out formal wear and our teacher told us that girls mind stuff that has been used before but not guys. You may want to try targeting the male market? Just my two cents worth.
Back to top Go down
Rey

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:22 am

Actually there is such a service already (the rental of bags). It seems to appeal to those in the yuppies crowd and the opinion leaders. So it's a very niche market. What I see that can be improved is that maybe the process can be more discreet so that the "lose face" factor is greatly reduced. The web's the best tool as there's no risk of being seen going into a luxurious goods rental shop.
Smile
Hope it helps!
Back to top Go down
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 11:38 am

I have heard of such services already too. There are about 2-3 companies that serve Singapore, and they are web based too.

Might be hard to penetrate the market.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ssuf.biz
esthersoh
Talented Junior
Talented Junior

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 4:34 pm

My 3-cts worth of opinion :
1. High capital cost - not cheap to get a wide range of products & brand and a nice shop front in high-class business area.
2. Competitive market - as there are already second hand shops. And people also buy and sell back the item in auction site.
3. Niche market - too small to substain your business. You need a social network contact to get to those people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stores.ebay.com.sg/ES-BoutiQue
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 1:27 am

esthersoh wrote:
1. High capital cost - not cheap to get a wide range of products & brand and a nice shop front in high-class business area.
2. Competitive market - as there are already second hand shops. And people also buy and sell back the item in auction site.
3. Niche market - too small to substain your business. You need a social network contact to get to those people.

3-cts worth? That's new.

Well, is there any positive points to this business idea? Like the strengths and opportunities? (From SWOT, if you know what I mean)
Back to top Go down
esthersoh
Talented Junior
Talented Junior

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 10:21 am

Business Idea is good. Like you said, considering SWOT is very important. I think if the business starter consider the 3-points mentioned above and assess his business costing model it should be doable.

I am an implementation person. Not all good ideas can be implemented.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stores.ebay.com.sg/ES-BoutiQue
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Well Sifu, what is your take on this now that you have heard our opinion?
Back to top Go down
FireBlazen
Talented Junior
Talented Junior
FireBlazen

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 9:30 pm

esthersoh wrote:

Hear me out too!

High capital costs - Can try to lower down costs by getting the more popular products to rent and leaving out the "unknowns".

Competitive market - Pardon my noobness in business but the way i look at it, 2 or 3 businesses isnt going to affect much is there? Of 4 million Singaporeans, i am pretty sure theres more than enough customers for each of the mentioned business? Theres so many bubble tea shops that are still around and they are all making profits. Besides, owning a real original branded bag is definitely more costly to the consumer than renting it for a day or two.

Niche market - I believe you can try pedalling your wares on some more popular forums. For example, i found out from a friend that this is a mainly female's forum - http://flowerpod.com.sg/forums/ . I believe LV bags would appeal more to the females.
Back to top Go down
Sifu
Wise Old Man
Sifu

PostSubject: Rental of branded bag   Rental of branded bags EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 12:42 am

My idea was to target the female teenager to like to "show " off branded bag on certain occasion but has no cash to buy and own one. I am thinking of doing on-line to save rental and market it at Poly,JC and Uni
Back to top Go down
inle
Rising Star
Rising Star

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 1:59 am

How's has this being going so far?
Back to top Go down
samsarae

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 10:39 am

With H1N1, I'd stick to personal rather rental. Besides, what is the depreciation/maintenance cost of such items.
Back to top Go down
samsarae

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 9:37 am

By personal, I meant ownership of handbag rather than rent. Then again, I m not a sought after "branded" person.
Back to top Go down
Wealth Creator
Talented Junior
Talented Junior
Wealth Creator

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 12:17 am

Hi,

You might want to check out what your competitors cant provide in their service. If you can do what they cant do, you can capture new market group.

Personally, I thought this is a good idea Smile
Back to top Go down
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 7:27 pm

There are 3 other competitors in the market right now.

Market seems pretty tight with these 3 around already. That's my opinion. Apparently, there is no limit to how much you can make off women.
Back to top Go down
Head Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 5:14 pm

samsarae wrote:
By personal, I meant ownership of handbag rather than rent. Then again, I m not a sought after "branded" person.

Well, looks like costs needs to be set aside for sterilising too.
Back to top Go down
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 5:27 pm

The need to sterilise is probably needed from the start.

Also need to keep the bags clean and shiny.
Back to top Go down
zax

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 3:11 pm

how about rental of branded watches and jewellery?
Back to top Go down
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 3:15 pm

zax wrote:
how about rental of branded watches and jewellery?

Agreed. Maybe bundle the whole thing is watches, jewellery.
Back to top Go down
leumas

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 7:32 pm

Rental of branded watches is far too expensive. What are the precautions to take so that you will not be cheated.
Back to top Go down
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 pm

Hmm.. There definatly is a problem the more expensive the handbags and watches get.

If the customer spoils the watch, who will pay? What if they decide to just 'borrow' the watch forever?
Back to top Go down
FireBlazen
Talented Junior
Talented Junior
FireBlazen

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:39 pm

make them register their address or something, that way no one can run.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rental of branded bags   Rental of branded bags Empty

Back to top Go down

Rental of branded bags

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs :: General Business :: New Business Ideas -