Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs

Welcome Entrepreneurs of Singapore. Have questions about starting a business? Looking for a business partner or a Mentor? You've come to the right place.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bookmark and Share

Chinese Reading Program

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
esthersoh
Talented Junior
Talented Junior

Chinese Reading Program Vide
PostSubject: Chinese Reading Program   Chinese Reading Program EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:07 pm

I am effectively bi-lingual and I enjoy teaching.

Toying with the idea of quiting my current job and start a Chinese Reading club for todlers(3), young children (4-5). Maybe start with private tuitioning. Then expand into renting a classroom/venue.

Currently, I am also teaching a group of Myanmar nursing student conversational chinese topics related to hospital. I wrote the curriculum and teach them myself.

What do you all think about Chinese Reading thingy? And any ideas you want to suggest to make this operationable as a business?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stores.ebay.com.sg/ES-BoutiQue
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Reading Program   Chinese Reading Program EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Sound like a good idea for these young children.

However, I suggest you not quit the job just yet. I believe some testing should be done first.

First test your curriculum on the kids. Invite them to your house on a weekend, etc, then work with them. Watch how they respond to it.

You might want to invite their parents too. They will be the ones paying, so you will want their opinion on your curriculum.

In my opinion, it is not difficult to get the parents to spend on their child. I have seen 'kindergolf', golf for kids too young to appreciate the sport. But there were many children attending it.

Concerning services/goods that help the child, the parent will be willing to spend.

Don't forget your competition. Make sure you find a way to be different from them.

(A quick SWOT analysis and USP should help)

It is a viable business idea, but you must do the market test first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ssuf.biz
esthersoh
Talented Junior
Talented Junior

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Reading Program   Chinese Reading Program EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks. That's what I need to do now. Will plan.

Will use my own apartment to set up a classroom (after my tenant move out in Nov). Test it on my nieces and friend's kids first.

Have seen a friend started the English Reading Program - seems quite good;she started from home and now rent a place to run.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stores.ebay.com.sg/ES-BoutiQue
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Reading Program   Chinese Reading Program EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 6:15 pm

You can try testing it at kindergardens or childcare centres if they allow you. Although the kids parents would not always be around to observe you.
Back to top Go down
Sifu
Wise Old Man
Sifu

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Reading Program   Chinese Reading Program EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 6:37 pm

This my personal view. There many of these Mandarin program for kids - drama and story telling. I am sure those top notch private education centre are providing these kind of program for kids are they are well established and known by "kiasu" parents.
I find teaching and coaching the Myanmar nurses a better program. Go further provide those from Phillppine.
Start a Chinese reading club in your CC or RC and progress from there. Approach the Chairman and I am very sure he /she will be very happy to you to start the program for them.
Going full-time is good provided you have "money power" or establish yourself definitely better then 8 to 5.30 "prison"
Back to top Go down
Sunspore

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Reading Program   Chinese Reading Program EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 7:48 pm

You might want to try to conduct in the RC. Rc provides a low cost place for your to try out. You can also practice simple business skills like accounting and sales and marketing.

If you need more details, feel free to send me a msg so that I can give you more details.
Back to top Go down
SSuF Admin
Admin
SSuF Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Reading Program   Chinese Reading Program EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 2:05 pm

I agree with Sifu and Sunspore about testing the idea out at RCs and CCs.

Also, as Sifu has mentioned, there already is competition, so how are you going to differenciate your self from them? Anything special you have planned?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Reading Program   Chinese Reading Program Empty

Back to top Go down

Chinese Reading Program

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Start-up Forum [SSuF] -- Connecting Entrepreneurs :: General Business :: New Business Ideas -